The Plaza in Old Town Albuquerque is the home of San Felipe de Neri Church. The congregation was established in 1706. The original church building was completed in 1719 but collapsed in 1792. The current church building was constructed in 1793. The towers were added in 1861. (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Albuquerque was founded in 1706 by Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdez, who governed New Mexico for Spain from 1704 to 1707. His statue stands at the entrance to Old Town.
Petroglyph National Monument is on the outskirts of Albuquerque. The National Monument is home to petroglyphs carved into volcanic rock 400 to 700 years ago by Native Americans and Spanish settlers. We chose to hike in Piedras Marcadas Canyon, one of three canyons in the National Monument. The canyon has over 1,500 petroglyphs that are estimated to be 400 to 700 years old.