The Taos County Courthouse Murals

The old Taos County Courthouse on Taos Plaza was completed in 1934. That year, the Works Progress Administration commissioned four artists – Emil Bisttram, Ward Lockwood, Bert Phillips and Victor Higgins – to paint ten murals on the walls of the court room. In 1994 an eleventh mural was added by New Mexican artist Frederico Virgil, who restored the other murals. (Click on photos to enlarge.)

Taos Courthouse-8402
The old Taos Courthouse
Moses the Law Giver-8226
“Moses the Law Giver,” by Victor Higgins