I took these photos in response to a photo challenge by Chris Smith, founder of the Out of Chicago photography conference. While we are social distancing in our houses, Smith encouraged photographers to look around their homes and photograph textures and patterns. Click on an image to see it larger.
Covid Close Ups
Michigan’s Stay Home, Stay Safe order is denying me the opportunity to travel north to photograph this year’s spring. So, I have begun practicing macro photography. On one of our infrequent visits to to the grocery store I bought some flowers and on a walk I found a couple of pine cones to stand in for Sleeping Bear Dunes, Lake Michigan and Point Oneida. Even in the smallest things, however, there is beauty. (Click on a photo to see a larger version.)
Venturing out for some art and culture while staying in
Being under orders to social distance in our homes during the Covid-19 pandemic does not prevent us from getting out and exploring, virtually, some of the world’s greatest museums of art. I have a gathered here links to four temporary exhibits that no one is able to view right now except on the Internet. After that I have included links to a host of museums and cultural sites that you can explore in the safety of your home. If I come across more
- These temporary exhibits are available for online viewing while the museums that are hosting them are closed to the public because of Covid-19:
- True to Nature: Open-Air Painting in Europe 1780–1870 at the National Gallery of Art
- Vida Americana: Mexican Muralists Remake American Art, 1925–1945, at the Whitney Museum of Art
- Hearts of our People: Native Women Artists at the Smithsonian Museum of American Art
- Rembrandt and Portraiture in Amsterdam, 1590-1670 at the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid
- Visit art museums, world heritage sites, explore street art in London, Lyon and New York on Google Street View. Get a Street View tour of Stonehenge or the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
- Take a Google Street View tour of:
- the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
- Take a virtual tour of these museums:
- The Louvre, Paris
- The National Gallery, London
- The British Museum, London
- The Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel, Rome
- The Detroit Institute of Art
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.
- The Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
- The Uffize Gallery, Florence
- See works of art from 500 art museums and galleries on Google Arts & Culture.
- Explore an exhibit on Youtube:
- Inside Georgia O’Keeffe: Abstract Variations, and make your own art inspired by O’Keeffe, Seattle Art Museum
- The National Gallery of Art
- For kids:
- The National Gallery of Art has video explorations of great works of art just for kids.
- The National Gallery of Art also has an app for kids, NGAkids Art Zone app (for iPad), that contains eight interactive activities inspired by works in the collection of the National Gallery of Art, plus a sketchbook for freehand drawing and a personal exhibition space where users can save and display art created with the program.